Monday, March 26, 2007

Greenstone Kennel Breeder Spotlight Fall 2006

SPOTLIGHT ON: GREENSTONE KENNELS, CANADA

[Editor: For the Breeder’s Spotlight feature, which lets us know more about the breeders who belong to CISC, we plan to alternate between North American and European or Icelandic kennels.]

Kennel and Breeder Name: Greenstone Kennels, Valerie Sharp

Country of Owner: Canada

Number of dogs: Ten Icelandics, plus litters on the ground.

How long have you been breeding: Our first Icelandic was born in 2000, and we got him in 2001.

Names of dogs: Pineridge Vaskur (2000), Tofra Tobba (2001), Tofra Lagsi (2001), Lagsi lives with Grandma Sharp. Folda (2003) Tofra Dalla (2003), Greenstone Ada (2004) Greenstone AJay (2004) Greenstone Alaxander the Great (2004) Belglen Runa of Greenstone (2005) and if all works out my newest baby will be Greenstone Black Pearl(2006)

Favorite story about the dogs: I think some of my favorite stories of the dogs, start with finding them and traveling from Nunavut (Artic East coast) to Pineridge Kennels in B.C. West Coast of Canada to get Vaskur. I had fallen in love with him the second I saw him, and I have never regretted him for a second, although for a little while, I didn’t think I was ever going to get puppies, but I guess all I needed was to move down south and get him a different girlfriend?
I have meet one of my best friends and had amazing trip to Greenland, and Norway, picking up Tobba and spending time with Monika, falling head over heels in love with Tofra Alfur at the time, and I remember calling home to Canada and saying, honey, can I bring this little male home with me, and if you can imagine at the time, I was told no, we don’t want another male. I have always been so thrilled that Pineridge choose to import Alfur, and was truly honored that Sharon from Belglen would allow me to welcome my home to his daughter, Belglen Runa, a very special little heart girl.

I still remember finding Folda, what an adventure that was, I wanted and needed another female, and spent two years looking at every litter born, in every country you can imagine, and this one day, a litter came on one of the yahoo groups, and it had a link to the website with puppy pictures, and I took one look and wanted puppy female number two. I picked up the phone and called Iceland, as its ringing, I think, I wonder if they speak English, well Bibi does and a truly lovely lady, was this one puppy available, well it was the other puppy she wanted to sell, but yes, she was available, but not sure she wanted to send a pup to Canada, so I said, well do you know Monika, she has met me, and so she said she would think about it, and I was to call back at a certain time. So I called Monika straight away, do you know this breeder, do you know this bitch, do you know this puppy. As it turns out, Bibi had been at Monika’s the day before buying dog food, and Monika had meet Folda at that time.

The funny thing was, Monika’s cell phone rang and her husband picked it up, and it was Bibi checking up on me, so Monika had each of us on a different phone, asking the same thing, do you know this person and would you let them have the puppy! Needless to say, Folda flew into Boston, where Jason was waiting for her, and brought her home safe and sound to us in the artic.


Then came Tofra Dalla, what a special dog she is, it was a hard birth, and there were only two puppies, one came to me in Canada, for which I am always grateful, and her brother, went to Norway.

Then come my own puppies. Goodness, what can I say, they were a surprise and turned out to be some of the most wonderful dogs. I think I can honestly say, I watched Alaxander take breath, and knew that he would never leave my side, and I hope I am right.


Favorite doggie activity: Well which one, I don’t know if I have a true favorite, but I think Conformation, Agility, and Herding would be my top three, but we have also done obedience, tracking and therapy work with the dogs. I work very hard to keep the dogs busy, and also to find what each dog’s natural talents are, and then work on that..


Favorite Icelandic in your life so far: I don’t know if I can say, I only have a single Favorite but I can say, that Pineridge Vaskur and his son, Alaxander both hold very special boy places in my heart, and for girls - well I truly love them all, but I would have to say, my happy girl Oppa, always brings a smile to my face, but Dalla and Runa are just as special, we have a different bond, they are so soulful, Oppa and Ada are always happy girls, but I often snuggle and just gaze into Dalla and Runa’s eyes and I think they have a lot of depth to them.


Most proud moments:
Vaskur-Flying in a Helicopter, and being an exploration Dog, and becoming a father!
Tobba-Taking my first BOB and MISC Group Class, taking her to school to help teach the children in Nunavut about Iceland.
Lagsi-Dancing with Grandma Sharp, and being her man!
Folda- 1st Icelandic in CKC to get her CGN, for being the first Icelandic in the Canadian Rare Breeds shows to win multiple Best Puppy of Groups, Best of Group, and Best in Puppy Sweeps. First Greenstone Icelandic to earn her Certified Therapy title. First Icelandic in Canada to have earned her Herding Instinct certificate and competed in the CKC herding program.
Dalla (left)- Watching her learn agility, she is going to be amazing, Second Greenstone ISD to earn her CKC HI, and is now allowed to compete in CKC herding events, First ISD in Greenstone kennel to complete her Tracking training.
Runa: First Female Champion in CKC in Canada!!
AJay- First Male Champion in Canada, First Group Placing ISD in Canada, First Multiply Group Placing ISD in Canada.
Alaxander - First Greenstone ISD to finish his advanced obedience training and we are working toward his CD this fall.
Ada (above left) - First Greenstone Female to point in CKC, Ada has her HI, and she is being actively trained in Agility at this time. Watch for this little lady in the ring near you.


Black Magic Women- It was another late night and after three lovely boys were born, all yellow gene, and fresh blankets were in the box, and everyone was nursing and settled, I sighed and turned off the lamp, and said to Jason . . . No girls and no Black tris, I guess it just was not meant to be, and I heard, grunt, and slurp, slurp, and I flicked the lamp back on, and thought, that puppy is black, and then I leaned over into the whelping box to help, thinking I just wished that. And when I got the chance, I checked sex and I swear I laughed/cried, it’s a female, and it’s black tri. O my god, she is just meant to be mine . . . she is Magic . . . and so her name is Black Magic Women. So for now my most proud moment of her is that she was born!!

(Update, Although Black Magic Women is a very special puppy in my heart, I made the hard choice and kept back Greenstone Black Pearl, a lovely long hair Black tri female)

What was it about Icelandics that made you choose them for your personal breed of dogs: I wanted a medium size dog, that was active enough to go out on camps and hiking/camping trips with Jason and myself, low prey drive because we had cats and would very much like to be parents someday if we are blessed enough, We wanted double coated for the high artic winters (even though the dogs lived inside, it was still cold out there), and I wanted smart enough to be able to work in agility and pretty enough to hold their own in the show ring . . . and after a very long hard search, I found the Iceland Sheepdog.


What is next for your kennel?
1) Finish as many of the dogs CKC Championships as possible
2) Special AJay in CKC in the coming year(s)
3) I would like to get CGN on most of the younger dogs
4) I would like to earn my first obedience and Agility titles on the dogs next year
5) I would like to get more small camping trips, and hiking the river trips in the next year.
6) Anything that puts a smile on their faces, a dance in their step and wag on their tails.

No comments: