Monday, March 26, 2007

Cooking for Dogs Fall 2006

WELCOME to COOKING FOR DOGS Fall 2006
By Valerie Sharp

Well, over the years, I have been asked what I use for giving extra feedings or when weaning the puppies or kittens, that I raise, I honestly don’t know who wrote or made the recipe that I have listed below, Angela White gave me a version of it, as did Elayne Kaplean, both were slightly different in measurements and one used fresh whole eggs, I combined the two together and make the percents more equal for ease of giving the recipe to be made by hubby in case I was not home.

This is the one that I have been personally using and sharing for the past four years now. I have been successful at using it for hand raising, as well as using it for weight gain in slow kittens.


I truly hope that you will never need these recipes but on the other hand if you are a breeder, I recommend that you keep these recipes and all ingredients on hand, just in case.


Orphan Puppy Formula And/Or Supplement for Mom

The following formula was developed by Dr Stephen Bister (Vet Ophthalmologist)because many of the commercial formulas were known to cause cataracts in the puppies (this warning is on the labels of the most widely used brands)1 cup of boiled water1 cup of plain yogurt1 cup of 2% Carnation milk1 hardboiled egg yolk1 2oz jar of baby beef with broth (no veg.) (this is Baby Food)Mix in blender.Store in fridge, and shake well before using.Warm the bottle up the old fashioned way (in a pan of hot water)....

Do NOT microwave, as the microwave will kill the enzymes.Use 1 oz of formula to 1 oz of puppy per day.... divided into 5 or 6 feedings.This is also an excellent supplement for bitches.... it helps to bring the milkdown and does not give the bitch the runs.This formula is the very best "puppy saver".


Second Orphan Puppy/Kitten Formula and/or Supplement for Mom


This is the recipe that I have used for hand raising orphan kittens and have used it for both mother cats and for extra weight gain for puppies, I have never personally had a issue with my female Iceland Sheepdogs not keeping weight on, they normally come out just as heavy after nursing as before (minus the coat of course).

1 cup boiling water
1 package of gelatin
1 can of condensed Milk (not evaporated)
½ cup of real Mayo (with the eggs in it)
1 cup of plain whole active culture yogurt

Heat your water to boiling, empty the can of condensed Milk into a bowl, with wooden spoon, then add package of gelatin into the emptied can, pour in boiling water, stir to dissolve and stir till sides are clean, then let cool to luke-warm, In the bowl with condensed milk , add Mayo and yogurt, stir together..

Then add gelatin water to mix and stir together, when set, it will be like really thick set pudding, can also pour into ice trays and freeze, then pop out and store in freezer bags (I always double bag them) To get back to drinking liquid, warm over hot water and serve at blood temp. I feed till baby says, I’m full and I normally hand feed every two hours for the first week, then go to every three hours, then on week three every four hours and I normally have them eating out of the dish on their own by week four.


One of the other Recipes that has stood me in good stead during the weaning process, if the kittens get loose stools, so far my puppies have all weaned with no issues, but my kittens, that is a different matter . . .

One large can of pumpkin (not pie filling plain pumpkin)
One two-pound package of hamburger
One Large container of plain whole active culture yogurt (if you can get goat yogurt, it’s worth it)


Cook hamburger (drain some fat off if you got regular, and leave the fat on, if you got lean) cook while stirring so its small bits and until fully cooked (no pink at all), then cool and mix equal parts hamburger, pumpkin and Yogurt.

Once they are doing well on that, you can also try

Equal parts hamburger, Pumpkin and cottage Cheese
Lightly scrabbled eggs
Canned sardines or Herring, mashed together with yogurt or pumpkin

For Fussy Mom’s that don’t want to go back to eating their dry food, I recommend making homemade broth, Throw in anything but the kitchen sink, anything you would put in a soup broth, examples, Bones, veggies (no onions please), garlic, and simmer for a couple hours, cool, store in fridge and warm up, and then pour over the dry food to soak, the moms will snap it up..


Happy Puppy Raising!

No comments: