Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cooking for Dogs Spring 2007 Newsletter Issue

WELCOME to COOKING FOR DOGS Spring 2007 Issue
By Valerie Sharp

Tiny Clicker Training Treats.

Well, I have been busy in the kitchen trying to make a treat that is for clicker training, now we all know that they sell little plastic tubs of single tiny bites for training at the different clubs and on-line, but its proven to be difficult for me to figure out how to get the same tiny treat, I tried putting the dough though a grinder, with the idea of cutting it off in tiny spots as it came out, and it didn't work, at least not for me. . .


So then, I tried making softer cookies, so that I could break off tiny pieces, not bad but still not the same . . . so tried cutting them in strips and then moving them over to the baking sheet, yikes what a load of work and still not really what I was after, I wanted even smaller pieces . . .


So this is what I have figured out, and here is my latest Doggy Treats.
4 hotdogs
1 or 2 med clove of Garlic (or half a teaspoon of dry Garlic powder)
1/4 cup cold pressed oil (if possable use a healthy oil, like sunflower etc.)
1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup oatmeal (non-quick cook kind)
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
up to 1/2 cup flour extra

So in a food processor, chop up your hotdog and garlic together, then slowly add oil till a beaten mush, then add water and oatmeal, chop again, then add one full cup of whole wheat flour, mix, add up to another half cup of whole wheat flour till it forms a soft ball.


Take out and knead like bread dough, keep adding a bit more flour till you have a soft dough but not sticky, then roll out very thin, 1/8th of inch is perfect, try to roll it out to be a sheet the same size as your cookie sheet. Then carefully fold it over and pick up and slide onto your cookie sheet, then carefully take your pizza cutting wheel, and start cutting lines, very narrow strips, once you are done one way, cut the other way, each of my cookie sheet made about 350-400 tiny bite size peices,

This recipe made enough for both large cookie sheets, I cooked both at the same time. Do not break apart, just cook the cut with lines in in a 350 oven for 15 min and then turn oven off and let sit for four hours or overnight to harden . . .


When done, take off cookie sheet and whack the pieces and they will come apart on the lines, and yahoo! about 600 to 800 tiny bite size pieces of very yummy training treats, I know that this recipe calls for more oil than I normally use, but I wanted them very crisp, but if you wanted to make the cookies with less calories, you could use apple sauce instead.


Well, everyone of my dogs loved them, so given them a try, and let me know if yours loved them to.. They should be kept in the fridge as all homemade cookies should be, but they will keep in a cool dry spot on the counter for at least a week, but as for longer, I don't know, I have never had any left :)

No comments: